Tuesday, December 13, 2011

You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch!

Do you ever feel like the Grinch? Or maybe Charlie Brown? You know what I'm talking about.


The Grinch: "That's what it's all about, isn't it? That's what it's always been about. Gifts. Gifts...gifts, gifts, gifts, gifts, gifts!"


Or . . . 


Charlie Brown: "I guess you were right, Linus. I shouldn't have picked this little tree. Everything I do turns into a disaster. I guess I really don't know what Christmas is all about. ISN'T THERE ANYONE WHO KNOWS WHAT CHRISTMAS IS ALL ABOUT?!?!"


Well, isn't there? Is it all about gifts? Does anyone know what Christmas is all about. Sometimes, it saddens me. We exchange gifts at Christmas, and I don't think there's a thing wrong with it. But what about the real meaning of Christmas?


I went to the mall tonight, in search for a few gifts for my sisters. I was always raised to have manners and always be respectful. So when that grouchy lady that is trying to take everything off the shelf and wears the permanent frown comes and grunts her way past me to take just what I was reaching for, I smile. I always act happy and say "Oh, excuse me!" and scoot myself right out of her way. But Grandma isn't the only mall grouch.


There's always the entire family of sour pusses who grimace and grunt at you when you pass them. Even the baby in the stroller seems to be mad at the world.


But you know what? I'm not going to let this get me down. I know the true meaning of Christmas. I celebrate Christmas because of my Creator. My amazing God sent His one and only Son to die on the cross for us, to save us from our sins. Where would we be without Him? 


So while some people just celebrate Christmas, just because, and get grouchy at everything, I'm going to keep my eye on the real reason that we even have Christmas. What a sad world we would live in if it wasn't for God's amazing grace.


Who could blame Charlie Brown and The Grinch? I understand. But just like they do in their movies, we have to find out the true meaning of Christmas as well. It's a time to spread cheer and hope to those who need it. That's exactly what I'm going to do.


"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulders, and his name shall be called  Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." -Isaiah 9:6

No comments:

Post a Comment